Valley Development Projects (VDP) is a registered Non Profit Organisation operating in Ocean View and Masiphumelele in the Southern Cape Peninsula. Focusing specifically on the protection and development of children and youth, VDP offers a number of services to children, youth and families in these historically disadvantaged communities.
VDP began in 1989 as a satellite project of Catholic Welfare and Development with the aim of improving the lives of people living in the Ocean View and Masiphumelele, In 1995 VDP became an independent organisation, and soon thereafter received its own NPO registration. Using an integrated development approach to combat a number of social issues, the organisation aims to alleviate poverty and address the imbalances of the past through various projects and programmes.
VDP networks extensively with other NPO’s in the Western Cape and profiles its projects and programmes in the broader community. VDP is the only non-profit organization mandated by the Department of Social Development to do statutory work in the Southern Cape peninsula, receiving case referrals from many other organisations.
Valley Development Project aims to:
- To reduce the incidences of child abuse and neglect in Ocean View and Masiphumelele through education, prevention and early intervention.
- To support parents and foster parents in the care of their children.
- To render statutory intervention where necessary.
- To ensure youth at risk to become well balanced members of society.
- To protect, support and assist children who have been orphaned, abused or neglected.
- To provide quality pre-school education for children in Ocean View and Masiphumelele.
- To provide learning opportunities for children unable to attend pre-school.
- To provide parental skills to ensure improved care and stimulation for children.
- To provide substance abuse counselling to addicts and their families.
- To enhance the nutritional intake of children in their formative years, and to provide daily nutrition to school-going children.
- To build the capacity of marginalised communities to deal with disasters.
Valley Development Projects is a development organisation. With our committed team, we endeavour to facilitate a creative process enabling communities to take responsibility for their own sustainable development.
Our vision is of a healthy, self-reliant community with sufficient resources for people who are confident to make their own informed choices in a constantly changing environment
NPO Registration Number: 011-957-NPO